Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike Console
The console unit is nearly identical in design and features as the older Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike. It does have a slightly different layout. The best part is it can transfer all of your workout data to other applications. You are no longer limited to SchwinnConnect and MyFitnessPal.
This new console model gives you the option of tracking your workout data on a variety of applications like Endomondo, MapMyRun/Ride, GoogleFit, Apple Health, and UA. One downside is the console is not Bluetooth enabled. Any of your workout data will have to be transferred through the USB Port. The unit’s USB port also works as a charging port for your device.
The console unit is able to track distance, speed, pulse, RPM, calories burned and the time they were burned. It is equipped with a heart rate zone indicator, a goal percentage indicator, and current resistance setting.
Your goals for time, distance and calories burned. From here, your workout data will get displayed on two monitors. There is the top display that’s a 3 x 5 monitor wide display that will show the workout profiles, like your goals and profile. The 1 x 5 inches monitor displays the other metrics, like the speed, time, distance, etc.
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike comes packed with 22 workout programs. There are 9 profile programs, 2 fitness tests, 8 heart rate programs, 1 quick start, and 2 custom.
The 9 profile programs are Cross-Training, Ride in the Park, Rolling Hills, Easy Tour, Mount Hood, Pyramids, Uphill Finish, Pikes Peak, and Interval. The QuickStart program gives you the option to workout openly, and change the resistance as you want during pedaling. The 2 custom programs offer the chance to create your own profile and programs, save them and use them as many times you want.
The console unit integrates a sound system, media holder (or reading rack) and cooling fan. The sound system consists of two acoustic chambered speakers. The sound system will work with most MP3 devices, smartphones, tablets, etc. The cooling fan has three basic speeds. It’s not the most powerful fan but will give you some cooling.
The media holder is placed between the two displays. You can have a tablet or phone placed on it to cover the top display. The secondary display provides most of the workout data will still be visible.
The console can only track your pulse via the sensors that are implemented in the handlebars but can also be done VIA the HR chest strap (POLAR) transmitter. This accessory is not included and you will have to purchase it separately. It does not cost that much.
The console unit is super easy to operate and uses keys for increments of 1. You can gradually set the resistance adjustment (in increments of 1), and quick keys for the 1,3,5,7,9,12,14,16,18, and 20 resistance settings. There is a pause function that’s available which is great to have if you alternate bicycle sessions with other types of workouts.
Assembly and Maintenance
This Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike will arrive at your home already partially assembled. The drive and resistance elements will arrive in their places where they are connected to the frame and are encased by the protective shrouds.
The parts that need assembling are the front handlebars, console mast, console, pedals and the base tubes of the frame, the seat with its backrest and handlebars. This could take a couple of hours but that depends on your skillset when it comes to putting things together. If you are like me you will get someone else to put it together for you.
If you do decide to put it together on your own the directions are step by step and very straight forward. All of the tools you will use to put it together are included.
- A rock-solid construction and very similar to commercial-grade recumbent bikes. This bike can handle users up to 300 lbs.
- Sleek and dignified design
- A contoured vented seat that will let your lower back and butt breath. My back gets hot easily so the venting seat and back is a big plus for me.
- Made as a hard seat and contoured backrest that provides great lumbar support. The hard seat does not work at all for me but it’s perfect for others.
- Grip pulse sensors for keeping track of your heart rate.
- 20 levels of resistance open up many opportunities for challenging yourself in your workouts.
- 22 preset workout programs that include the following: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 4 beginners, 4 advanced, 2 custom user-defined, 2 fitness test, 1 Beginner, 1 Advanced, 1 quick start along with additional features.
- Goal tracking for your workouts.
- USB port for charging your devices and transferring your workout data to applications like MyFitness Pal, AppleHealth, SchwinnConnect, and other applications.
- Added features: sound system, 3-speed fan, tablet support, and a water bottle holder.
- This recumbent bike is nearly noiseless with its smooth and quiet drive.
- It has weighted pedals with adjustable straps to provide extra stability.
- Frame: 10 years / Parts: 2 years / Electronics: 1 year / Labor: 90 days warranty.
- The Seat is hard and I know some people like that. For me, with all my back problems. Sitting on any hard surface is the worst thing I could do for my back.
- POLAR chest strap for pulse reading is not included;
- “The 3-speed fan is not very powerful” which is a comment I see a lot from buyers of this model. No, the fan will not blow you away (no pun intended). The recumbent bike I am currently using does not have a fan. I sure wished I had that 3-speed fan!
I used to have the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike. When I get about halfway through my workout Ispeed am sweating and I am heated up. Having that little 3-speed fan was great because it was just enough to take the edge off and cool me down some. I miss that little fan!
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike (MY16) is a solid recumbent bike. According to the so-called experts they have it classified as a mid-range exercise bike. The design, construction, and overall durability are virtually similar to commercial-grade recumbent bikes.
It uses an eddy current resistance system that includes different 20 levels. The console serves up 22 different workouts. There is a USB port where you can transfer your workout data to exercise applications like MyFitness Pal, AppleHealth, SchwinnConnect, and other applications.
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike is great for users of all exercise levels. It works well for recovery training, stamina, and weight loss. Plus, strength training for your back to help reduce back pain.
Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike Video
Hi, I’m Drew. If you are suffering from back pain be it chronic or intermittent. I would love to hear your story?